a) Reason for selection.

The film begins in darkness, and we hear a voice that gets louder and more insistent, saying: "Tell me...Tell me...Tell me about Jenny". We hear the sound of a plane, as the shot cuts to an out of focus man/crowd, then quickly comes into focus, revealing him as middle aged. At the same time, 'The Seeker' by The Who begins, concurrently with the appearance of the film's title, 'The Limey'. The credits roll, as the unnamed middle aged man surveys his surroundings (LAX). The scene cuts and we see the man sitting in a taxi, a nearby suburb flashing past outside, and then the local Motel he's staying at. All the while, the music of The Who continues to play until the man inside his motel room pulls out a newspaper clipping that states "Woman dies on Mulholland"; as he does so, the final lyrics of the song are also heard, "I'm a seeker, I'm a really desperate man,"
This opening scene sets the mood of the film, and introduces the main character, but does it in a mysterious way. We hear a voice at the start (who the viewer assumes tis the main character), and as we hear the sound of a plane, and see a shot of a man whom we assume the voice belongs to, this gives the viewer clues to the man's identity; he's an outsider to Los Angeles. The man arrives at the airport, does not travel far from LAX, and as he open's his suitcase we see him take out a British passport. The dialogue at the start, the soundtrack of The Who playing 'The Seeker', and visuals, combines to reinforce the idea of a man on a quest.
This film appealed to me, as the music choice is a good one, as I enjoy the sounds of the sixties band The Who. I also enjoy watching Terence Stamp (the main character in 'The Limey') performing in movies, and as a cult actor, he performs well. As Stamp was an extreme pleasure to the eye when he was younger, and I hoped to see some of that however, I was disappointed to realise that Stamp was in his early sixties when the film was made. Furthermore, as I had viewed the trailer before i saw the opening scene, the camera work, all that I could see in the trailer, appealed to me as the camera angles and effects were intriguing. These combinations appealed to me, and that is why I wanted to watch 'The Limey'.

No comments:

Post a Comment